Thursday, October 13, 2011

Unit 6 American Gothicism / AntiTranscendentalism

1.

2. I think i fall more closer to being a Transcendentalist becuase they believe in what i would probally believe in like i dont believe that everyone is just pure evil like the dark romantic.

3. I chose the story "Hop-Frog by Edgar Allan Poe

4. I thought that this story very mean in my opinion because the dwarfs was trying to get revenge and trying to escape from that king, but the story was about how the dwarfs or hop frogs was getting treated like slaves. The story illustrates how the Dark Romantics disagreed with the Transcendantalists by showing there dark side in the story how they had so much anger in the characters in the story and showing how every had some kind of evilness in them even it came down to being dirty by getting revenge on poeple that did you wrong for example: "Ah, ha!" said at length the infuriated jester. "Ah, ha! I begin to see who these people are now!" Here, pretending to scrutinize the king more closely, he held the flambeau to the flaxen coat which enveloped him, and which instantly burst into a sheet of vivid flame. In less than half a minute the whole eight ourang-outangs were blazing fiercely, amid the shrieks of the multitude who gazed at them from below, horror-stricken, and without the power to render them the slightest assistance." and that was when the dwarfs got there revenge.

5. This story (The Raven) was about a man named Edgar Allen Poe It tells of a talking raven's mysterious visit to a distraught lover, tracing the man's slow descent into madness. The lover, often identified as being a student,is lamenting the loss of his love, Lenore. Sitting on a bust of Pallas, the raven seems to further instigate his distress with its constant repetition of the word "Nevermore". A few lines that stuck to me from the story was "Then the ebony bird beguiling my sad fancy into smiling,By the grave and stern decorum of the countenance it wore." This poem has anti-transcendental in it because its talking about how the raven in the story represents death and darkeness.

6. *The end rhyme in the story raven was:
-And my soul from out that shadow that lies floating on the floor
Shall be lifted--nevermore!

 *The internal rhyme in the story raven was:
-Once upon a midnight DREARY, while I pondered, weak and WEARY,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten lore,
While I nodded, nearly NAPPING, suddenly there came a TAPPING,
As of someone gently RAPPING, rapping at my chamber door.
" 'Tis some visitor," I muttered, "tapping at my chamber door;
Only this, and nothing more."

 *The Alliteration in this story was:
-Nodded,Nearly,Napping

7. This unit was mostly over what i exspected it to be over and it was how people was mostly evil but everyone is not evil like this unit believe in. I clearly stated what needed to be adressed in this unit in my work by answer the essential question for all parts of my work like for example:when i gave examples of how the dwarfs in the story "Hop-Frog".

No comments:

Post a Comment